Wednesday, November 22, 2006

of snow and soba

Despite my attempts to banish winter forever, it seems to have hit full force here today. This morning it was raining, but the temperature has dropped 10 degrees and we're having lovely blizzard contitions. At least it's not raining -- sorry Vancouverites/Victorians.

And with the weather turning to winter, it seemed today that everyone wanted to feed me. One of the teachers (and my sweetheart of a neighbor) got a delivery of "bo ru shi chu" -- a big box of some kind of prepared food item. What can I say, he's a single guy. I don't think he does any of his own cooking. As I was trying to figure out what the hell it was, he gave me a package. Totally unecessary, but nice of him. As it turns out, "bo ru shi chu" is actually borscht. I was planning to have it for dinner.

At least until I got back to the office.

There was some kind of all-Hokkaido soba making meeting in session. Who knew there was such a thing? So, the building was full of old soba making dudes. They had extra soba, so they invited the office to come and try out some of the food. Man, was it good. Freshly handmade soba. I will cry when I go back to Canada and there are no soba shops to be had.

I stuck around to help clean up and was rewarded for my efforts with some of my own to take home. Yummy-yum-yum!

2 comments:

Itchy Footed Wolverine said...

A blizzard, you say?
Well, seems that you haven't checked the weather in Calgary lately. I am the fortunate soul who has turned his back on the warm tropics to come back to winter in old Cowtown. My mother is making tripe that she found at the new asian supermaret taht opened recently. Actually, she was shopping there at the exact moent that she was supposed to pick me up at the airport upon my return from two years away. Alas, nothing has changed.

anyram said...

I must admit, I don't usually read a Canadian weather report. They just aren't as much fun as Japanese weather. But it looks like there might actually be winter there this year? What's up with that? Must be because I'll be there over Christmas...