Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It's about bloody time!


Finally, spring has come to my little corner of Japan. It took so long to get here, I thought it would never come. Once it did it came seemingly out of nowhere. I can't tell if it feels like that because I've been so busy lately or if spring really does start fast around here.

I went for a bike ride tonight to try and take some pictures of the start of cherry blossom (sa ku ra) season here in town. I got waylaid by my Grade 4, 5 and 6 students who were having a running practice -- sports day is coming up. I won't be able to go to the Junior High sports day, but I have a feeling I won't make it to the Elementary sports day either. It's the day after I'm having my birthday party, and I have a feeling that if you throw a "Dress as your Town Mascot" party, a lot of people will show up. Especially when your town mascot is naked ramen boy...

Sorry. I got sidetracked.

I wasn't going to stop to watch the running practice, but my students were so excited to see me -- even the impossible Grade 6's. So I stayed a while and watched. Some of the moms were watching as well, along with some younger sisters who covered me with cherry blosoms and dandelions.

After practice, I got an ice cream along with everyone else. The magic of being "maryna-sensei".

When everyone had gone, I tooled around town a bit more. I passed more of my students (younger ones this time) and their parents who were taking advantage of the nice weather with an outdoor barbeque. I left quickly so nobody would feel compelled to invite me -- not today anyways.

A a lovely spring evening.

***

In other news, Happy 21st Birthday to my little sister! Omedetou gozaimasu imoto-chan!

No comments: