Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I have a big stick

That's right -- I went to kendo class today.

I was all ready for not being allowed to do anything fun because if was my first day. I've seen the Karate Kid. I know how these things work. But my friend (and teacher) Mayumi-san was there, and she brought me an old shinai (bamboo sword) to use, and showed me some basic moves. The class is at the local gym, and the students range in age from 6 and 7 year olds to parents.

I practiced very basic movements; how to hold the 竹刀 or shinai properly, what to do with my feet, how high to hold it over my head, how to bash someone over the head. I only did half a class (45mins) because Mayumi-san had to practice too. She doesn't actually teach the class, but has been doing kendo for a while (as had one of her sons) and is willing to teach me the basics, and even better, lend me some equipment. So maybe I'll get to hit people soon...

If I end up doing kendo, I am going to have some solid pipes -- the sticks are light, but swinging them over your head for 3 hours a week will build some serious arm musculature!

1 comment:

Granville Is. Go Go's said...

I can't believe someone actually gave you a big stick. Have they not heard your fiendish laughter when talking about kickboxing. Sounds like lots of fun, maybe you can teach me when you get back and we can fiendishly laugh together ; )