Friday, September 16, 2005

Sounkyo Elementary


On Thursdays, I go to a variety of different schools. Some weeks it's one of the local kindergartens, other days I go to the daycare, and once a month I go to one of the two small Elementary schools in neighboring towns that are under my town's jurisdiction. This week was my first week at Sounkyo Elementary. There are only 8 students, from Grades 1 to 6.

I take the bus there and back -- for some strange insurance reason, I can't drive myself. So, yesterday I packed up my self-introduction goodies, and some other teaching stuff and went out to Sounkyo. I only teach for 45 minutes, and the major goal is for the kids to have fun and enjoy learning English. So after I introduced myself and showed some pictures, I had the kids introduce themselves to me. We reviewed the alphabet and played some fun alphabet games -- I had the kids make letters as a group. The fastest team got a point, and the winners got alphabet stickers. We played tag with all of the other teachers for the rest of class.

I had lunch with the kids, helped clean up the school, played some soccer, and then it was time for me to catch the bus back to the office.

No comments: