Friday, January 27, 2006

janken ga heta desu

It's true. I am bad at janken. More commonly know to those in non-Japanese speaking countries as "Rock, Paper, Scissors" (I like the "Kitten, Tin Foil, Microwave" variation myself). Today I played the gokiburi (cockroach) game with the first years. It's basically an evolution game, where the students have short conversations and play janken to decide who advances. After evolving to the stage of human, they come and play me. If they win, they become gods and write their names on the board. If I win, they have to start over as cockroaches.

In a class of 22 students, 16 were able to beat me and become gods. There were kids waiting for other people to become cockroaches, but I kept losing. The whole idea is that I win and the students have to keep practicing the English grammar point du jour. My JTE was a little disappointed. After class she was teasing me about my janken inabilities. She says I need to practice. Unfortunately, these students have about 13 years of practice on me.





In other news, I'm off to musical rehearsal in Hobestu this weekend. No, I have no idea where that is either. I'm sure it will be a fun weekend anyways.

No comments: