Sunday, January 01, 2006

Return to Kuala Lumpur: Happy New Year Edition

Yesterday afternoon we left our tropical paradise, and re-entered the hustle and bustle of Kuala Lumpur. And yesterday being New Year's Eve in Malaysia, we went to the biggest New Year's party I have ever attended. We and 2 million Malaysians (and I'm sure a few other tourists on holiday) welcomed the new year with fireworks and confetti. So if anyone is watching highlights of New Year's Eve around the world -- look closely: you might see me in Kuala Lumpur. It was a very low key evening, despite all the people. Our group went and sat outside at a hookah cafe and enjoyed watching the crowd go past before moving on to a better fireworks watching locale. It was a really different way to spend the evening -- I'm usually more of a watching the ball drop on television kind of gal.

Today I took it pretty easy. Did a little shopping preplanning for my next run through KL on the way to the airport, and decided to try some traditional Chinese medicine. And why stop at foot reflexology? My travel buddy wanted to get a foot massage, but I opted for something a little more adventurous. A nice back massage followed by cupping. For those of you who don't know, cupping involves putting small cups or jars on your body and using either heat or suction, you pull the toxins out of your body, enhance circulation, and get really nasty looking marks. It's like giving yourself (with the help of your massage artist) a giant set of hickies. And mine are particularily nasty. At least they look nasty. You'll have to check my flickr page to see photos -- blogger is taking too long at the moment. I can't feel them at all, and I actually have a lot more energy today than I thought I would have (yesterday being a late night and all). We'll see how they feel tomorrow when I get on the bus to Malaka -- one of the oldest ports in this area. It'll be fun to go see some cultural sites for a change of pace.

Happy New Year to everyone!

(By the way, for those of you who near and dear to me who keep track of what I do via this site, I've resolved to improve my telephone communications skills this year. I don't really believe in New Year's resolutions, but this seemed like a worthwhile one. So expect to hear from me in 2006!)

No comments: