Monday, April 03, 2006

New Year Jikoshokai (Self-introduction)

The beginning of April is the start of the new fiscal year in Japan. Unbeknownst to me, the first day of April is also the day when all of the new people are introduced at their offices. Which explains why everyone else was in a suit this morning.

We just finished with the official welcoming and conferring of official contracts for all of the new teachers in town. Complete with speeches, pictures, and of course a self-introduction. The teachers and school staff lined up on one side of the room, and the BOE staff (myself included) lined up on the other. And then we went around the room introducing ourselves. I felt like a complete ass in my everyday clothes. At least I decided against the tracksuit this morning. Thank goodness for small blessings. And they hid me in the back for the group picture so hopefully, no one will see that the ALT didn’t know to dress up for the first day of April.

No comments: